Feb.3 (GMM) Daimler CEO Ola Kallenius has continued to play down rumours that Mercedes will no longer operate as a full works team in Formula 1 after 2020.
He had already declared that speculation a bombshell decision will be made at a board meeting on February 12 is “not truer”.
And now he is quoted by Auto magazine as saying: “We won the world championship six times in a row.
“This is a unique achievement, and in terms of marketing, it more than pays for the costs. So it is a very profitable investment.”
However, a well-known pundit for the Finnish broadcaster C More, Ossi Oikarinen, said he wouldn’t be surprised if Mercedes pulls the plug, deciding instead to remain in F1 as an engine supplier only.
“We saw it with Toyota, we saw it with BMW. Motor racing is not their core business,” he said.
And so the rumours continue, and some are tying it all up with news that Racing Point will become the works Aston Martin team from 2021.
“If Mercedes leaves, could this be an outlet for Toto Wolff and Lewis Hamilton?” wondered La Gazzetta dello Sport correspondent Andrea Cremonesi.
Gary Anderson, the former technical director for Jordan and Jaguar, warns the Silverstone-based team not to rush its way to the front of the grid.
“The Aston Martin news is positive for Racing Point, but my one worry is the big ambitions could become distracting,” he said.
“It’s essential that the team’s great strengths, which are its racing and technical group, are built on and the ownership doesn’t get carried away.”
F1 Changes Starting in 2021 - After many months of discussions and deliberations, Formula 1’s ten teams have now agreed to the terms of the “Concorde Agreement” that binds them to the world championship for another five years.
This agreement is a contract between Formula 1, the FIA governing body and the teams which wish to compete in the F1 World Championship from 2021 to 2025 and defines how F1’s television revenues and prize money will be distributed.
Formula 1 bosses have been keen to build a strong foundation on which to secure the long-term future for the championship. As such a revolutionary new budget cap will be introduced next year, along with new technical regulations and a new set of sporting rules coming in 2022.
The Covid-19 pandemic has created unprecedented challenges for everyone in 2020, and has served as another reminder that something needed to change. Once the championship restarted, so too could the commercial agreement talks.
By changing the way the prize money is distributed, it was inevitable that some teams would be happy – as they would receive a greater share – and others less so, as they would have a smaller slice.
But ultimately, as they have increasingly done in recent months, all the stakeholders found a way to come together and compromise on the document, which they agreed to in time for the early deadline of August 18th – which brought a small financial incentive.
With the 10 teams signed up for the next five years, and the regulations and cost cap defined, Formula 1 can finally embark on a new era. The new agreement also squashes any speculation that teams like Mercedes or Haas might not be around for the long term.
The hope now is that all F1 teams can develop themselves into robust operations financially while also closing the pack in terms of competitiveness that can in turn improve the racing spectacle.
Roll on 2021!